Pages

Thursday 3 December 2009

Art for art isn't loved by me



I don't like art for art. Art for art isn't loved by me.
Cold stuff doesn't move me.
I want something dirty.
I want something that kicks my ass.



Jeff Koons, "Hanging heart"

I don't care about this kind of art. I don't belive it's genial kitch. Electric chair of Warhol has power, cause is pop but is weird in the same time. That's only pop. Aesthetical expirence without putting anything in the doubt. Warhol for example stayed always on the border, between kitch and provocation, you can ask if Koons didn't do it in scultures of him and Cicciolina in positions of kamasutra. Maybe in some way, but it was more a game with taboo, than balancing on the border of celebration and negation of everything that brings our culture. Even because kamasutra doesn't come from our culture, Warhol refered much more to our sensibility, using sado-maso iconography that is much more reactive for us.

 
Andy Warhol, "Electric chair"





 Jorge Pardo, Prototype


This simply doesn't exite me, baby. 





 
Takashi Murakami, "Panda"

That is an exaple of art that is made by artist of different culture and different aestethic sense, but I can respect it and even appreciate. Problem of contemporary art is that there's too much discussion around.  A lot of things don't attract you at all, till you don't know the philosophy behind it. This philosophy is good, but art is another thing. Art firstly should get you by itself and then stimulate to go more into idea of this. Murakami isn't one of my favourite artists but I have to tell that in his works are something more than aestetic, there's something crazy that we can feel immadetly, and that's for me spirit of art, that is avablie for everybody without limit of culture, language or whatever. Something that doesn't let us to stay indifferent.





Paul McCarthy, "Basement Bunker: Painting Queens in the Red Carpet Hal"

That's really impressive for me! I advice you even other works by McCarthy, particulary this kind of stuff.


And for the end a little extras
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRai9x8aD3A

Soon, let's hope, some post about Banksy



Peace, love and silicone
BR




2 comments:

ectoplasm said...

I love Mccarthy! I did an essay for school about blood in art and the different meaning and material it can brings. I talked about a video of maccarthy filmed like a snuff movie, where seminudes girls choped his legs with an axe, in a profusion of blood. Blood is so beautiful, i mean, maybe it's simple to say that, but it appeals to us because it's part of us, and postmodern tries to separate us fron our blood and flesh humanity. Like for the menstrual blood, which is a taboo in a most of society and religion. Fuck, i love my blood!
I don't know if you heard of "Antichrist" the last Lars Von Trier movie, i saw it yesterday and it really moves me. I recommand to you, because it's mostly what you say about art that excites you, even thought it's really disturbing. I'd like to know what you think about this movie.
By the way your last paintings are really tasty!
See you,
XX
Sam

BR said...

I agree completly, McCarthy is a great artist because he uses all this weird stuff, this strong almost disgusting images, I love art that provokes and moves so much at the same moment. I've seen "Antichrist" of Von Trier, the images absolutly destoryed me, he is a genius, because he doesn't use cheap violent or sexual images to impress, he chooses this kind of pictures that really touch you, they are very strong but also symbolical. For example when she cuts herself, is one of the strongest and the most violent images in the movie, but it's also a symbol of self destruction. That's for me good art, when somebody use so strong mediums but not only for one aim, at the same moment puts in this a lot of meanings.
All the best
BR